Introductionary message

Subject: Introductionary message
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:48:37 -0000
Dear all,

As a new member of this group I should introduce myself as suggested
by the moderator:

I live in Berlin, Germany and I have occasionally been recording
animal sounds for several years. Recently I started to record
ultrasonic sounds made by bats and grasshoppers. Some of the
recordings are available at www.avisoft-
saslab.com/sounds/sounds.htm. Of course, several of these files are
of a poor quality, but I hope to improve the quality in the future
(I just purchased a SENNHEISER MKH 800). I'm also interested in
technical aspects of recording equipment and sound analysis software.

Looking forward to participate in this interesting group.

Here is my first question:

Some time ago I purchased a SENNHEISER K6/ME66 at eBay. It turned
out, that there is a significant difference in the inherent noise
when using the internal battery power supply and alternatively a 48v
phantom feeding. The noise floor is lower with the phantom power
supply. Obviously, the integrated power supply circuitry causes that
noise. My question would be, if this is the normal behavior also
recognized by others or whether it is a malfunction (what I'm afraid
of).

Thanks,
Raimund