Re: selecting a recording location

Subject: Re: selecting a recording location
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:33:26 -0500
hexachord.geo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to this group and a complete newbie to nature recording. With
> spring just around the corner (I hope!) I was wondering if anyone had
> any tips that might help me pick a location for my first nature
> recording expedition? I plan on staying local so some specific
> questions that come to mind...
>
> Any web sites, books, or organizations that could be helpful in
> finding out what type of wildlife I might find in my region?

Start by deciding what you are interested in. Most nature recordists
that record calls come from bird watching, and record birds. Frog
recordists like myself are much less common. Mammal recordists probably
even less common (if you don't count those recording people). There are
a fair number who record insects. You don't have to specialize, but most
people do have a dominant type they record.

As far as what's in your region, field guides, local birdwatchers, etc.
are useful. There are many internet sites found by doing searches. I,
for instance maintain a site on Georgia's frogs:
http://wwknapp.home.mindspring.com/GAFrog.Toad.html

Some get into recording ambiance, whole soundscapes. If interested in
this I'd recommend Bernie Krause's book "Wild Soundscapes"

Note that your interest area will also determine what sort of microphone
or microphones will be most useful.

> Besides knowing what I might find in my area, any good resources for
> info on migration or any other patterns that may have an impact on
> the recording trip?

In a local area, your local audubon club would be a good source if birds
are your interest. Most other types of animals don't migrate that much,
though they do have patterns of when they call.

> Any good rules to follow when avoiding civilization and industrial
> noise pollution? For example, when considering a location should I
> avoid it if I see it's within x miles of a highway or railroad tracks?

This somewhat depends on the quality of your mic. The more sensitive,
the farther away you will need to go. Nowhere is far enough away for
airplanes. And high sensitivity mics can easily have interference noise
from traffic several miles away. Some of this will also depend on just
what level of background noise the natural environment is producing. And
how much you are willing to tolerate.

If recording something like frogs or owls, and recording species that
continue to call all night, then choosing to record in the early morning
hours will usually find the minimum traffic. Unless it's near a truck
route, those seem to run more at night than day sometimes.

A lot of this is a case of simply getting maps and finding out what all
is in your area. Go out and listen. You can get good recordings in lots
of surprising places, even quite close to what would seem like bad noise
sources. All part of the craft.

Do not expect to produce commercial quality recordings on your first go.
There is a lot of art and skill to recording that's learned by simply
getting out there and doing it.