Re: selecting a recording location

Subject: Re: selecting a recording location
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:09:26 -0500
hexachord.geo wrote:
> Walter, John, and Rob.
>
> Thanks for the great comments, tips, suggestions, etc.. It looks like
> rain is in the forecast for the next couple weekends so I think I'll
> stay indoors and do some good research based on the information you
> guys provided. I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions soon...

Around rain is the best time to go out and record frogs. Some species
only call associated with rain. Use common sense in protecting the
equipment, but don't stop just because of rain. It's part of the natural
environment.

This is particularily good during a dry spell in the summer. I often
follow a few hours behind a thunderstorm and seemingly pick calling
frogs out of the dust. Or at least it seems so to those that don't use
such methods.

Even now, my local frogs at home go up and down in their calling with
the rain.

One of the recording types I'm really working on is frogs in the rain,
or thunderstorms. I've finally got a mic that can do justice to a
thunderstorm, and am just watching for the right combo of frogs and
thunderstorm.

Even birds can be interesting to record with rain. And there are plenty
of oversexed birds calling here. They don't stop because it's wet.