spaced omnis

Subject: spaced omnis
From: "tatiana irvine" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:29:53 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this list and I'm going to jump right in with a question. I am
looking for advice about just how far to space omnis when recording stereo
atmospheres in nature (as in 2 omnis on a stereo bar, not "binaural").

What results has anyone out there gotten with different distances? I spoke
to an engineer for National Geographic's "Radio Expeditions", and he
recommended 14 inches- is this an arbitrary style thing, or is it necessary
to space them that far apart to get enough seperation to make up for the
lack of a human head between them?

I have only used these omnis for recording music, which is a bit of a
different bag due to such a strong primary sound source and associated phase
concerns-

Yes, I know....use my ears....just curious about approaches...

thanks! tatiana

tatiana