Re: spaced omnis

Subject: Re: spaced omnis
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:14:09 -0000
Everything is fair game is the fast answer.

18" on a bar will only give you stereo on the low pitches.  I just
don't have a personal taste for it.

Don't forget the favorite technique of tying them to opposite sides
of trees for a great binaural.

A group of us hope to play with a 8 channel array in May with
separation of about 200 yards at the farthest point. Then worry about
the rest in post production.

I prefer 10" with a 8" x 12" x 12" foamrubber block between the
omni's.  In a pinch I will run a plastic barrier with a .25"
seperation.

Rich Peet
PS I thought that NPR was rotating the sound people for Radio
Expeditions and not keeping any one person in that slot.  I also
noted that they favor Sennheiser MKH's in MS configuration for that
show.

--- In  "tatiana irvine"
<> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just joined this list and I'm going to jump right in with a
question. I am
> looking for advice about just how far to space omnis when recording
stereo
> atmospheres in nature (as in 2 omnis on a stereo bar,
not "binaural").

> What results has anyone out there gotten with different distances?
I spoke