Re: spaced omnis

Subject: Re: spaced omnis
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:54:37 -0600
>tatiana:
>
>As a simpler kind of answer to your spaced-omni question: I've gotten
>recordings I like outdoors with distances from 20 to about 60 cm. I tend to
>like the 60cm recordings through headphones and the closer ones through
>speakers, though I can't explain why. I've actually come to like the A/B
>(spaced omni) recordings for speakers as much as binaural recordings played
>back through speakers.
>
>With distances under a couple meters, the time of arrival of sounds at the
>mics has the biggest part in making the stereo effect; intensity differences
>are generally too small.
>
>If I had longer cables, I'd be tempted to a 10 X increase in these
>distances.
>
>Please post again soon with your opinions based on experiments.
>
>Steve P

I also can confirm, with Steve, that the timing differences produced
between the channels when recording outdoors larger spaces work out
pleasantly with a 19"-22" spread. The lack of off-axis coloration
with omnis contributes much to the spatiality.

How wide? If playback speaker distance is a convenient variable,
simply matching wide mic spread with wide speaker spread produces an
intriguing horizon/field.  I've tried this to 32' with good results
even when is considerably closer to one speaker.  I don't see why
this wouldn't work at any distance if the other speaker is within ear
shot.

Whether the spread is 19" or many feet, I keep the two channels
discrete-- that is-- I don't pan/mix them because it quickly confuses
the space.

Rob D.

  = = = =
--