RE: Sound editing & sonogram software on PC

Subject: RE: Sound editing & sonogram software on PC
From: Scott Petersen <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:28:02 -0800
Walt replied:
>I would not think this is at all universal. Certainly on macs where 24
>bit color has been standard for both OS and apps for some time it's
>better to use jpg. Both the sonogram programs I use come out much better
>as jpg. They have gradient coloring that bands in gif.

24 and even 32 bit color are standard to unixes and windows desktops as well
as macs, however most applications use only 8 bits to draw menus, text and
the like.  One of my pet peeves is seeing a jpg screenshot that obviously
had no more than 256 colors (the maximum for a gif) and thus had smeary text
and edges.  My suggestion to use gif was simply a reaction to that coupled
with what seems to be the predominance of limited color palatte in all
sonograms I have ever seen.  Since I never use sonograms in my line of I
will defer to your experience here Walt.