Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment

Subject: Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment
From: Nick Gordon <>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:10:31 +0100
Any electrical piece of equipment that has a coil can pick up waves as
well as send them.
May I tell you the three weirdest signal pickups I have ever had.

1. in the seventies the local milkman changed his bell by one that he
could trigger with a relay. Thus I ones heard his bell two blocks away
on the radio. That only happend ones.

2. in the eighties I worked with a heavy but portable Bmax videoset. At
home I set up the equipment to look a some scene we recorded earlyer
that day. While playing back I desided I wanted to move the set to an
other part of the room. I unplugged the monitor from the video and from
power. Moved the monitor an plugged in the power. To my surprize I
could watch the video without having the recorder connected to the
monitor. The recorder it turned out gave of so much electrical waves
through the air that no wires were really needed.

3. My clockradio frequently lets me listen to an asian radiostation
here in the Netherlands- Europa. Maybee it feels homesick sometimes,
but it does this when it is turned OFF??!!

So i'm not really surprized when a recorder (or maybee a mic) picks up
any wave in the air

Nick Gordon
Netherlands

Dudley Edmondson heeft op zondag, 16 mrt 2003 om 16:01
(Europe/Amsterdam) het volgende geschreven:

> =A0=A0=A0
> In recent months I have experience a strange thing with my HHB
> portadsic
> recorder and parabolic stereo DAT mic.
>
> When I am recording bird audio near a resident or near city limits=A0 I
> can
> hear a low frequency hum or buzz with music or voices in the
> background.
> What I am picking up is no doubt a local radio station.=A0 In fact once I
> heard the station say it call letters.....OLDIES 107 FM.......=A0 It is
> not
> super loud or anything it just at a sound level that gets picked up in
> any
> recording you make BUT not loud enough to overshadow the subject
> source.
> But Just loud enough to be heard during moments of silence during a
> recording
>
> What the heck would make my recording set pick up radio stations??=A0 Has
> anyone else had this problem. This sounds crazy to me and NO there are
> no
> voices in my head........
>
> Dudley Edmondson
> Duluth,MN