Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment

Subject: Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 17:01:06 -0000
Possible fixes for the problem in the order I would do them. This is
not an uncommon problem for any microphone system.

1. Make sure the ground connections on your cables are well attached.
2. Make sure the mic cable is a high quality cable with a good shield.
3. Keep your mic cable as short as possible.
4. Loop your mic cable to form a small coil near to the recorder
using sandwitch ties to form the coil.
5. Add a Toroidal Core on your mic cable close to the recorder.
6. Add a .01 capacitor across the mic cable at the connector of the
recorder.
7. Go to a balanced microphone for the dish.

Rich Peet

--- In  Dudley Edmondson
<> wrote:
>=20=20=20=20
> In recent months I have experience a strange thing with my HHB
portadsic
> recorder and parabolic stereo DAT mic.
>
> When I am recording bird audio near a resident or near city limits=20
I can
> hear a low frequency hum or buzz with music or voices in the
background.
> What I am picking up is no doubt a local radio station.  In fact
once I
> heard the station say it call letters.....OLDIES 107 FM.......  It
is not
> super loud or anything it just at a sound level that gets picked up
in any
> recording you make BUT not loud enough to overshadow the subject
source.
> But Just loud enough to be heard during moments of silence during a
> recording
>
> What the heck would make my recording set pick up radio stations??=20
Has
> anyone else had this problem. This sounds crazy to me and NO there
are no
> voices in my head........
>
> Dudley Edmondson
> Duluth,MN