Re: Dream Systems?

Subject: Re: Dream Systems?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:50:18 -0500
Lang Elliott wrote:
> on 2/12/03 10:30 AM, Kevin Colver at  wrote:

>>1.  Stereo ambient sound, price $1000 - $2000
>

> SASS with two MKH 20s - about $3000 for whole setup

I would agree. But I managed to stay within the price range thanks to
ebay. Even tossing in the Sound Devices MP2 pre. The Portadisc would
push it over that price. But if I had to stay within, it would be the
SASS, the MP2 plus a Walkman MD. I almost would manage that including
the Portadisc under $2000 with the SASS/MKH-110.

>>2.  Stereo ambient sound, price $4000 - $5000

Add a M/S MKH setup to the SASS and MP2 plus the Portadisc. Probably go
the M/S MKH-30/60 over the MKH-30/40 because of the SASS. Or else go
with the M/S MKH-80 pair. Again it takes Ebay to stay in this price
range. If buying all new, SASS/MKH-20 or SASS/MKH-110, MP2 and Portadisc
would eat the money.

Or maybe go to the Telinga Stereo here and M/S setups at the next price
jump. Have to think about that.

>>3.  Stereo ambient sound, price $10000 - $12000

SASS, two M/S setups, MP2, Portadisc, Telinga Pro V Stereo (or maybe
langs's MKH-20 design). Probably less if buying all new stuff. The M/S
would be a MKH-30/40 (or two MKH-80) and a MKH-30/60.

>>4.  Directional mono recording, price $1000 - $2000

Telinga Pro V Stereo (mix to mono if you want), Walkman MD.

> MKH 70 shotgun microphone with zepplin (for mono shotgun recordings)
>
> or Telinga Parabola retrofitted for STEREO recording using two MKH 20s for
> about $3000 total. Why use a mono parabola when you can get a nice stereo
> recording, plus all the benefits of the parabola?

I would agree I have the dual science element for the Telinga, but
almost never use it.

To stay within $2000 would be tricky with the MKH-70. You'd have to go
walkman md and the MP2. And get all three off ebay. It would be somewhat
easier to make it if you went with the MKH-816. Stick with the P48
version even though it goes more money. Sooner or later you'd have some
other phantom power mic. No use to add T power as a complication.

>>5.  Directional mono recording, price $4000 - $5000

Add the portadisc. Maybe enough here to include one of the MKH-816's I
have and a MP2 with the Telinga.

>>6.  Directional mono recording, price $10000 - $12000

The M/S setups all mix to mono there is no reason to carry a separate
mono setup. The M/S MKH-30/60 is a nice short directional. Make the long
MKH a M/S too, or dual MKH-816's, still deciding which way there.
MKH-70's might replace the MKH-816's, but they go for a lot more money.
Portadisc and MP2, Telinga stereo also are included.

At this kind of level I'd be looking at time lapse recording. Or
ultrasound recording in mono. Definitely add a hydrophone. Can be done
with help from ebay.

Note how I'll put my money, in mics. The Portadisc will do fine as long
as it stays stereo or mono. As the money increases I like to increase my
mic options. This is not enough money to justify getting into more
expensive recorders.

It would take considerable more money to do justice to higher sampling
rates or surround. For instance the pair of MKH-80's would have to be
MKH-800's at a jump in price to handle the higher frequency response of
higher sampling rates. Probably replace the MKH-20's with the 800's too.
Which would be a tricky problem for fitting the SASS. There are no
shotguns suitable for the higher frequencies yet. Surround you have to
double the mic count at least. Which is a big jump in money. Do surround
and higher frequency response and it really gets painful.

And we have not factored in computers and software. Those are not free.

So far I have the Portadisc, MP2, Telinga stereo, three SASS (a
original, the SASS/MKH-20, SASS/MKH-110), pairs of MKH-816's, a matched
pair of MKH-20's (currently in the SASS/MKH-20), 2 MKH-30's, 2 MKH-40's,
2 MKH-60's, & 2 MKH-80's. Three uncommitted MKH-110's. A fair amount of
Sennheiser and Rycote suspensions/windscreens. All the MKH loot and
suspensions/windscreens came off ebay at well less than half price
overall. I have a hydrophone, bought new. The Telinga and Portadisc were
also bought new, the MP2 a returned all but new one. And all of that
cost me about the top kit price here. That's what ebay can do for you if
you spend the time, I've been watching ebay and putting it together for
two years now.

High end mic setups I've got all together: The SASS/MKH-20, the
SASS/MKH-110, have the crown wind covers, still to make furry covers. A
M/S MKH-30/40 combo in Sennheiser suspension/windscreen/furry cover, the
M/S MKH-30/60 combo with Sennheiser suspension/windscreen/furry cover,
The two MKH-80 currently in a rycote suspension/windscreen/high wind or
furry cover with the settings for M/S cardioid mid (numerous combo's
possible at the flick of a switch). Mono MKH-816 suspended/windscreen/hi
wind cover, no furry cover, and looking for another MKH-30 to set up
with it. Plus the Telinga Pro V with DAT Stereo or Dual Science
(converted to 5 pin XLR connector), and the Hitech Hydrophone with it's
homemade power supply.

Still mumbling over suspension/windscreens to use the two MKH-40 as a
stereo pair, same for the two MKH-60's and MKH-816's. Lots of combos
have come together this last year as good auctions came along. So, I
have far too much to play with. And I will not, at this point commit to
what will stay in my kit and what will not. Except I'm pretty sure a
SASS, the Telinga stereo, the M/S MKH-30/60 are in. Exact combos of the
others I'm still experimenting. More combos are in, just not sure which
ones.

I do have some dreams, however.

I did recently add another ebay goodie, a night scope to spy on the
calling frogs. Not one of the super expensive ones, just a fairly basic
Generation 1 scope to start to get familiar with what's possible. I've
got a bunch of questions to work on. Like how a bird voiced treefrog
calling at near head height on a branch actually hooks up with a female
bird voiced treefrog. Time for the time lapse video recorder hooked to
the night scope and a mic.

I've thought of trying to get into multimedia recording. But, it's awful
expensive and really tricky to do. It's one thing to get a good
recording of some calling frogs, trying to get the video to go with it
is really challenging. The night scope above can be attached to a video
camera. And takes regular C-mount lenses. So another area to test.

Think about a field guide on DVD. Not just still pictures and
unconnected calls, but video of the actual calling frogs. That's the
next step up in this game. I don't know if I have enough life left to do
it. There is a real dream system to think about. That's where my dream
system is. And is really serious nature recording. How to do that
without breaking the bank is a interesting question.