Re: moles and atrac

Subject: Re: moles and atrac
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:21:11 +0100
It's a good example, Marty. I have recordings of Tetrao Urogallus (Swedish:
Tj=E4der) made with an average omni at a distance of about 2-3 meters. With
good loudspeakers or headphones one can easily hear a 3 sec long tone comin=
from it's chest (?) about 50 Hz.

Okay if people have poor replay equipment, as long as they know it - but ho=
can the average computer user know how poor his equipment is, when it says
"600 Watts" and "Sub-woofer" on the multi media package?

I just don't know what to accept! Next time I get a mail from a guy asking
"how many watts is a Telinga" - shall I be modern and answer "900 watts" an=
make him happy!
Or shall I try to educate this potential buyer, telling him that he's on th=
wrong track? It's almost like a father-son dilemma.

Klas.

 At 13:33 2002-12-31 -0500, you wrote:
>At 12:25 PM 12/31/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>Klas Strandberg wrote:
>>
>> > Okay, I would personally make a choise here: I would go for the best
>> > recordings I could make, and then care only about the fans with equipm=
ent
>> > good enough!
>
>The classic dilemma, as I discussed with Professor Peter Paul Kellogg ca. =
1957,
>is in the commercial recording of the ruffed grouse booming.  HI-FI or NOT=

>HI-FI?
>
>If you get a really good recording, as I have recently with my ME-67 at 20=

>ft with NO
>bass-roll off, and listen to the WAV on Bose Acoustimass speakers or on my
>Sennheiser headphones, you get better than 95% (I am guessing) of the ener=
gy
>below about 100 hz.  Each beat of the grouse wing looks like you grabbed t=
he
>microphone diaphragm and jerked it out and then in for about a 20 ms .
>I can hear it       I can record it         I can play it,
>But on most computer systems, my users who want to learn birds, cannot
>reproduce it.  The same was true of phonograph players in 1957.  The recor=
>groves were just not far enough apart to give the needle much of a slow je=
rk.

>For listening on today's computer speaker systems, if I left the file that=

>way, my users
>might dispute there was ANY grouse sound at all.  So, in the outgoing
>version, I have
>to emphasize the mid-range frequencies, so the users at least can hear the=

>accelerating
>beat PATTERN of the male grouse and know sort-of what to listen for every=

>spring.  Their
>only recourse otherwise is to turn up playback the gain so the speakers
>distortion from lack
>of compliance produces audible overtones.
>
>my best regards,
>
>Marty Michener
>MIST Software Associates PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049 =
.com

>EnjoyBirds.com  - Software that migrates with you.    http://www.EnjoyBird=
s.com

>"And some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces=

>with hammers, like sae many road makers run daft. They say it is to see ho=
>the world was made."   --  Sir Walter Scott, St.Ronan's Well, 1824

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email: