Re: Re: 600 Watt - 10 Hz

Subject: Re: Re: 600 Watt - 10 Hz
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 16:01:32 -0500
evertveldhuis  wrote:
> Klas,
>
> A 600 Watt 10 Hz subwoofer is what I call a dust blower :)
> Just some fancy way to clean the house... And it will most likely
> tear down the neighbour's house while you are cleaning yours :(

If it really put out 600 Watts of sound energy it would do even more.
Luckily not only is the figure overrated, but it's electricity fed to
the speaker, not sound output.

> But seriously, I hope a change is gonna come so in the near future
> more attention is being paid to real HiFi quality; not High End
> products with great specs so even the bats can enjoy our music, but
> just good equipment.

I'm not near so confident.

I watched as the advent of television destroyed photography. You can't
even get the high resolution film anymore. Because folks got used to the
blur that's a television picture. When color TV first came in color
realism was critical to sales, now it's not necessary and most TV is way
oversaturated, the equivalent in pictures of the overcompressed, too
loud sound. Even the hobbiest photographers now favor film that
oversaturates.

The advent of mp3 was essentially the big push that showed manufacturers
that they did not have to worry about sound quality at all. This
following on the heels of the availability of solid state circuits that
could put a lot of electrical power into a speaker. So speaker design
moved to power handling, rather than quality response. Like clock speed
on computers, power output became the term used for quality. I see more
and more of the components necessary to good quality sound going away.
At least reasonably priced ones.

> I also hope the music recordings are yet again recorded with normal /
> natural dynamics instead of all the compression and limitting; music
> nowadays is just made like you have to have a 600 Watt 10 Hz
> subwoofer to FEEL it. You know; feel the sound in your car, and
> outside as well :) Stupid earblowing terror...

With a great many of those folks, they have to feel it, the ears are
long gone.

In car sound competitions the winner is the one who can hit the highest
level on the sound meter. (probably also a inflated measurement)