Re: Orniphonics

Subject: Re: Orniphonics
From: Vicki Powys <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 13:15:16 +1100
Rich and All,

I had a quick look at Rich's new "Orniphonics" birdsong site.  It seems like
a generous plan to make North American birdsong available free to all, no
questions asked as to useage.  So I'm wondering how many contributors will
be forthcoming?  Is there potential here for a commercial rip-off of these
recordings?

I also listened to Rich's Ruffed Grouse, a 20 second 1.8 MB recording (very
nice too) but it took me 15 minutes to download it, with my (admittedly
slow) 28 kbps rural phone connection.  There needs to be some indication of
the file size and type, before the potential listener clicks the "play"
button.  I take it the WAV files are uncompressed?  Would it be better to
use good quality MP3 recordings to reduce the file size?

This isn't a site where I would be browsing, as the file sizes are too big
for me to quickly download.  But the general idea is a good one.  Good luck
with it Rich.

Vicki Powys
Australia

on 27/12/02 11:21 AM, Rich Peet <> at