Re: Re: Orniphonics

Subject: Re: Re: Orniphonics
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 00:44:08 -0500
Rich Peet  wrote:
> You are correct I need to make sure everything is mp3 and set a max
> file size at about 200kb and I will find a way to post size and
> descriptions before download. Sorry about that vicki.  I am just
> getting my feet wet in Html files and my review of these is lacking
> right now.  I just figured out how to resize photos to be smaller so
> I won't do that to you again either.  I also plan to make the entire
> site available on a CD at a nominal price.

One thing about websites is that they are endlessly editable. I've not
really seen good sites that were "done". They get modified, improved,
added to endlessly, at least all the good ones seem to. That makes
providing a CD of the site a moving target. Just a thought.

> I am interested about the free usage feedback from this group. I have
> not decided yet on site advertising for the recording support
> businesses yet (ie some of you people).  If I went with advertising I
> also have to find a new server.  For that matter the jury is still
> out for at least a month on if I will launch this site at all as I do
> not wish to do an injustice to anyone including myself.

For my site, I've established a policy of not intruding on the site with
advertising. At least not on the species pages or index, though my info
page does contain some links and info that would fit that category. I'm
able to support my site without that. I may eventually be offering some
products, but will establish a separate section for them. I do get
offers from time to time, though most would bring in little money.

A lot depends on the economics of how the site is run. It costs me no
more than my internet access account which comes with webspace. My time
I don't tend to value very highly. Once established my site has not
eaten large amounts of time to maintain. I do have some email along to
reply to which was generated by the site.

I try to put the last revision date and a email link at the bottom of
each page in small type. Once a site has a bunch of pages it's a easy
way to know when a page was last worked on. Also my main page has the
full link to it, this practice helps anyone who downloads the site for
local use.

I have found that most, but not all who use photos or sounds from my
page do ask. Most are educators making up webpages for class, or
students making up a class webpage. I generally will give permission if
it's a non-profit use. These are the sorts of things you need to decide
so when that first request shows up you know what to say.

>   Much of the material I am hoping to generate for this site will be
> by rank amateurs that are members of our local bird clubs.  Which is
> also why I have the interest in inexpensive homemade microphones when
> I already own some fine and expensive microphones.  Although I could
> make a pretty good dent in the species list from my own collection
> that really is not the goal.  I hope not only to generate interest in
> recording birds but also to generate interest within the birding
> groups that are avid "listers" to take the time to understand the
> birds well enough to get a great recording.

If this is your goal your techniques section should include upgrade
advice for those interested. Even when people enter this hobby, they
don't all come in at the cheap level, so multi-level options need to be
provided. For many the idea of constructing anything, no matter how
simple is too much. Many of us are used to designing and building things
and are not put off by this, but all too many can hardly plug in the
connecting cords, let alone the delicate soldering involved in homemade
microphones.

I'm well aware that cost is a big stumbling block for many. But, it's
not the only one. Avid birders spend significant sums on their
binoculars. I'm sure some will approach sound the same way.

I like the idea of a website built by the efforts of the birders of the
state a lot. I do know something of how hard it will be to get folks who
have not been recording to actually go out and record and contribute.
The experience of the herp atlas showed that. Most of the 600 or so
volunteers contributed a few photos and record cards and that was it.
Only a limited number who were not employed in the field kept at it.
There were a number I know of who even had recording equipment and
showed a interest, but never turned in a single recording. With luck a
few birders of influence in your area will take it up and it will catch
on. People in birding groups need to see folks recording, even though
that hardly ever works well. Bird recording is a much more solitary
activity than bird watching. I always took my gear along on the group
forays for the herp atlas, even though my chances of recording much
useful were near nil. Got a few folks to try recording, many more got a
chance to take a mic in hand and see what they could hear.

BTW, I found out recently that one of my side contributions was
documenting night birds for the bird survey down here. I did not target
them, but more than 50 records have come from my material so far and
it's less than half looked at for that. I was told that even those who
were keen bird surveyors tended to go home at dark so little was known
about the night birds. I could easily see a site like yours being a
combined one with frogcalls as well, along with the night birds.
Encourage folks to record at night too.