Re: Re: [from Dean Grantham] singing ponds

Subject: Re: Re: [from Dean Grantham] singing ponds
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:58:53 -0500
Aaron Ximm wrote:
>>At the other end of the dynamic scale, in '72 my wife and I, courtesy of =
an
>>American Forester, Clark Gleason, stopped at a visitor information statio=
>>at an entrance on the eastern side of (I think) Yosemite NP.  Location is
>>not important anyway.  There was a tiny pond covered with a thin sheet of
>>ice which was melting with the morning warmth.  It made a heavenly sound.
>>Very soft, very beautiful.   Wished I had a recorder with me.  Not much
>>opportunity for listening to ice in the subtropics.
>

> Ahh, I would love to hear a compilation of recordings of such things!
>
> I too have heard the ice singing like this: for me, it was a collection o=
> five or six lakes at the top of the Gokyo valley in Nepal, just below the
> high peak Cho Oyu: as the sun moved and the shadow the bull-dozed morrain=
> retreated from each lake successively, it tinkled and cracked (as did the
> grumpy construction site of the glacier itself!)... a very treasured
> memory.
>
> Particularly memorable for the snow leopard prints leading down to one
> lake!  I spent a few hours motionless in vain hope that I might see one..=
.
> :)

My favorite ice sounds were not on a lake, though there was one beside
us that was not making much extra noise. It was covered with alternate
layers of ice and snow, several feet thick. The woods had many feet of
snow. We camped on the snow. Everything that moved over or in that snow
made beautiful squeeking/crunching sounds. Not just people, but even the
mice under the  snow, deer passing by, trees swaying in the breeze would
  make sounds in the snow around them.

Temps were near zero F. Beautiful full moon. None of us slept much, kept
getting up to enjoy it all. (Just as well, as a impoverished student I
was sleeping in a standard 3lb sleeping bag with a sheet of poly for a
tent, cold night too)

Oregon Cascades with the OSU Mountain Club. Who's banner has been flown
from the top of Everest. We were out most weekends. That one was just a
little 5 mile snowshoe overnighter. Back before the dawn of time...