RE: Re: [from Dean Grantham] singing ponds

Subject: RE: Re: [from Dean Grantham] singing ponds
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:05:00 -0700
Yes they groan pop snap growl and moan.  Some with strange shapes make
strange sounds.  Guess I better record some some time.  My husband just cam=
back from a trip near what they call Ghost Lake because of the sounds it
makes and said it was talking a lot.

For those of you who do not know what Rick Peet is talking about when he
mentions fishing on frozen lakes it is the great sport of ice fishing.  In
its crudest form you tramp out on a frozen lake, chop a hole in the ice wit=
an axe or if you are a little more sophisticated drill a hole with an ice
auger, throw down burlap to lie on, throw a tarp or something over your hea=
while you look down the hole watching your line which is down the hole for =
fish to strike. It is actually cool to see the fish come right up to the
bait.  In more sophisticated forms there are tip ups to see when the fish
strikes, black tents which you can sit in and watch for the fish, cabins
with no floor which people drag onto the frozen lakes, barbeques, fires on
the lake, lots of drinks hot and cold and pickups which each year are taugh=
to swim by people driving too close to power plant outlets on lakes or
narrows between two lakes which have a river running through them or who
just want to start the fun a little early or prolong it too long into the
spring.  (Natural selection at work)

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada