Re: MD disasters...

Subject: Re: MD disasters...
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:09:51 -0800 (PST)
> it has on these two occasions, when I activated the record function, star=
ted
> from the beginning instead of the end of the recordings (as it is set to =
do)
> and thus all the previous recordings seem to have been lost!

This can happen if you (perhaps accidentally) are paused when you initiate
a new recording, I believe...

I suspect you're aware Sharp models have never had this problem (at least,
since their model 702).... for the record I got about 100 disks worth of
recording out of a much-abused MT66 and thought if was a decent
investment.

> Has anyone else had this experience? Is there any way of recovering the
> data? On the first occasion I lost almost an hour of Ugandan bird calls

If you didn't actually let the recording run, but somehow lost the 'table
of contents,' you should be able to recover your audio data using EDL's MD
Transfer system.  But if the recording took place and you recorded over
the original data I believe you're almost certainly out of luck :(.  If
the former, write me off-list and I can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org