Re: Re: mosquitoes

Subject: Re: Re: mosquitoes
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 09:52:01 -0500
Thanks Walt. I was afraid this was the case.

Lang Elliott wrote:

> My question concerns drift.
>
> For instance, if I record for ten minutes straight, is it likely that the
> two recordings would drift in the time domain due to slight differences i=
> sampling rates? If this happens, it could render the technique useless.
>
> How does a DAT recorder generate sampling rate? Would two DAT recoders of
> the same make and model have absolutely identical sampling rates, or woul=
> there be some inherent variation, however small? If so, then would this
> variation be enough to cause significant drift between the two recorders
> over a 5-10 minute timespan?

The recorders clock off a crystal controlled oscillator. The primary
cause of differences is in the manufacture of the crystals. They have a
specified tolerance. It's very small, but when you are taking 44k
samples a second it adds up quick. Over 10 minutes it could easily be
several seconds. You really need a sync connection.

Note that due to phasing effects even if the timebase was perfect your
click system would have to be perfect. Being off by one sample in sync
will be a major error at higher frequencies. Luckily this can be judged
fairly well by ear.

> Has anyone tried this? I think I remember someone posting a note about th=
is
> some months ago.

My experience was in trying to sync my G4 and the Portadisc, which was
not good at all. Got nice beat frequencies. That's why I've not put up
difference tests on the ATRAC in the Portadisc.

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .