Re: Telinga Parabola

Subject: Re: Telinga Parabola
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 17:10:43 -0500
Fernando Gonz=E1lez-Garc=EDa wrote:
> Hi, amigos y amigas:
> I would like to ask about if is good idea paint the telinga plate?. If it=
 is
> good idea, what is the best way to do it?. What kind of paint will be the
> better?.
> Thanks a lof for your input.

It's polycarbonate, and most paint won't stick well. If I were to paint
it I'd probably use something like marine epoxy, the two part kind. And
I'd do it with a spray gun to get a even coat.

Before I used the telinga I used a parabolic what was white. Since I'm
mostly recording at night, and standing on a road shoulder to do it, the
large white object would be noticed by drivers coming down the road much
earlier than they notice me with the Telinga. So there might be some
small safety value in painting it. But other than that I can think of no
reason to paint the reflector.

If I was really worried about safety, I'd either put glass bead tape on
it or a strobe flasher. I don't expect to do either. I'm unusual enough
looking that virtually everybody sees me well before they get to me. I
have some reflective armbands that would stand out well if I wanted to
do any of that. Most of the time I'd almost rather not be noticed.
Teenagers tend to make extra noise when they see me, and of course dogs
can't shut up at all.

Paint will also add a little weight, which is unwanted. One of the nice
things about the Telinga is how light it is.