Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshoppe=

Subject: Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshoppe=
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:15:45 -0500
rs

>At 04:34 PM 10/15/02 -0400, you wrote:
>>And on sonogram, and waveform? Not all sounds produced by animals are
>>exactly the same frequency or in exact phase. They are not lab
>>instruments. IT DOES EXIST!!
>>
>>Walt
>>

>RE: Beat-your-ears-frequencies:
>In fact, when my ears were in their prime, in the late Miocene, I often
>found myself standing amid frog choruses, experiencing exactly what Walt
>has so nobly championed.  It is NOT a problem with ears, mics or even
>(heavens!) MDs ( ;^0 )
>
>I spent some of my high school evenings, when I probably should have been
>doing a better job on homework, recording at every pre-amp level you can
>imagine, these sounds.  Electronics then, as now, did nothing to increase
>or decrease these effects, but I do seem to recall they seemed
>loudness-dependent, suggesting possible non-linearity in my own elastin.
>
>RE: MD consumer types.
>BTW: I have just now purchased for my son's b'day a Sony MZ-N1, and
>ECM-MS907 stereo mic,  for his music gigs and a capella ventures.  There i=
>boldface tiny writing on the box that warns against any use of enclosed
>software on a Macintosh.   It CLAIMS to be able to store and convert MP3,
>WAV and WCM sound files as ATRAC3 files, using "Open MG Jukebox" or "Net M=
>Simple Burner".   I really have no idea . . . but, we will see . . .
>
>cheers,
>
>Marty Michener
>MIST Software Associates
>PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

Hi--

Very true about frogs.  The intra frequencies become so disorienting
that I've stood up and started walking in the wrong direction. To my
ears, with frogs, the distortions are as much or more pronounced with
tape playback as they were perceived in the field.  As for
grasshoppers and crickets, the distortion would probably also stem
from complexities in their songs.  The closest encounter I've had
with their singing came from leaving gear in a field for 3 hours.
Maybe someday, I'll become more accepted by the community nd enjoy a
closer listen.

 From this string, I've gathered that the distortion with crickets and
grasshoppers is not being widely experienced. This is helpful insight.

Thanks!
Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

Rob Danielson
Film Department
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:48 2005
Message: 5
>>And on sonogram, and waveform? Not all sounds produced by animals are
>>exactly the same frequency or in exact phase. They are not lab
>>instruments. IT DOES EXIST!!
>>
>>Walt
>>

> RE: Beat-your-ears-frequencies:
> In fact, when my ears were in their prime, in the late Miocene, I often
> found myself standing amid frog choruses, experiencing exactly what Walt=

> has so nobly championed.  It is NOT a problem with ears, mics or even
> (heavens!) MDs ( ;^0 )

My ears are hardly prime either. But, luckily frogs don't call at all
that high a frequency. I'd be doing insects too if I had ears that could
hear more of them.

>   There is
> boldface tiny writing on the box that warns against any use of enclosed
> software on a Macintosh.

Talk about waving a red flag at a bull! I believe the mac folks already
have it running in VirtualPC. Anyway I saw some indications of that.

Does not matter much, as of January, the last vestige of the Mac will be
dead. There will be these Unix machines that are trying desperately to
fool us into thinking they are Macs. But no macs sold anymore.