Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshoppe=

Subject: Re: Digital over mod? was:New to list and interested in grasshoppe=
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:25:52 -0400
rs

At 10:15 AM 10/16/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi--
>
>Very true about frogs.  The intra frequencies become so disorienting
>that I've stood up and started walking in the wrong direction. To my
>ears, with frogs, the distortions are as much or more pronounced with
>tape playback as they were perceived in the field.  As for
>grasshoppers and crickets, the distortion would probably also stem
>from complexities in their songs.  The closest encounter I've had
>with their singing came from leaving gear in a field for 3 hours.
>Maybe someday, I'll become more accepted by the community nd enjoy a
>closer listen.
>
>  From this string, I've gathered that the distortion with crickets and
>grasshoppers is not being widely experienced. This is helpful insight.
>
>Thanks!
>Rob D.

With no intention of starting up the dreaded "ethics of playback", thread .=

. .

During my post-doc work on tracking homing pigeons with radios, in the
1960's, I found myself for many days sitting on the lawns of numerous New
England airports (this is where you could fly pigeons TO, then release them=

and then track them from a ground station yagi, then fly yourself home
again around 6 pm).  Much of this time, I was listening to a battery
operated radio receiver, picking up the 52.001 MHz signal from a pigeon,
and swinging the yagi around widlly.

It is the chirping of the receiver from the BFO of the pigeon transmitters=

that is interesting, here.
IT CALLED IN CRICKETS.  Usually I took them to be Gryllus or Achaeta. ? ?

You would be concentrating on the pigeon's whereabouts, taking notes, aware=

of the sun and thirst, and you would suddenly realize you were being
stalked, or, actually, the loud speaker was being stalked by these
insects!  These stalker nevers uttered a peep - or a stridulation - - that=

I heard.  Females?   Just another silly note by me.

cheers,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
PO Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds - software that migrates with you.