Re: dissing

Subject: Re: dissing
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 23:03:16 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Dan Dugan wrote:

> KACastelein and DJLauten wrote (in part):
>
> >if you are going to process those MD
> >recordings to make music, be aware that you might find things get pretty
> >ugly pretty fast.
>
> Please give an example of how this might be demonstrated.

Yes, I'm curious too what this was intended to mean.

I use MD-recorded source material almost exclusively in my composition
work, hours of which are available on my website.  I will not say I have
never heard the artifacts of ATRAC in any of my recordings, but I have
never had a single comment on any of those artifacts either.  Any
artifacts a listener is likely to hear are almost certainly the results of
post-processing (e.g. distortions from convolution effects and resampling
or timestretching).

I'm close to convinced that I'm the only one likely to *ever* notice any
such artifacts, which I only do as a result of intense headphone scrutiny
of particular passages during the composition and production process.

IMHO the sorts of extreme processing likely to reveal the machinations of
ATRAC will already so distort a given recording as to render the relative
contribution to the final texture of those machinations all but
inconsequential. And I've mangled more than my fair amount of MD-sourced
audio, folks.

Best regards,

 aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org