RE: "Dissing" MiniDisc

Subject: RE: "Dissing" MiniDisc
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 11:54:43 -0600
Jim and I have been a supporter of the Cornell Lab for quite a while.  Gues=
it just took us a long time to wake up.  This year we did not send in a
donation and have not renewed our membership this year.

Being led down the garden path re cassettes is probably the main problem I
have with them but also what they try to pass off as science with bird
surveys.  Piling one on top of another.  The latest the horribly implemente=
Back Yard Bird Survey.  It took public criticism on BIRDCHAT (after two
years of private communication) to get them to at least clean up part of it=
.
Prime example of pseudoscience in action (although some birdchatters said i=
gave pseudoscience a bad name)

With so many other critters who could benefit from a proper database of
volunteer sightings they insist on piling birdcount on top of bird count.
What about butterflies, dragonflies and frogs.  Plenty of naturalists are
gathering information on them which would be useful if kept in a centralize=
database.  Heck it would take only minimal programming changes to put
butterfly counts into their database.

The bottom line is that I look to a university for the best information
around and proper science.  Cornell gets a failing grade on both.  They hav=
publicists who are on Birdchat all the time advertising their products and
projects but apparently no real science behind them.

For the bucks we have sent their way I could have really top notch
equipment.

When help on recording information was asked for all I was told was to
attend their classes - impossible from my situation.  They would not even
let me buy the notes (although I hear that somebody going out of NA was
allowed to do so and got great help from them)  I remained too ignorant to
know that I should be checking pitch or even the proper associated data
which should be collected.  Too bad because my oversights has depreciated
the value of what I have.

It would seem that if Cornell was really interested in bird recordings they
would have the most up to date information on their page to encourage other=
to participate.  Guess they are just living off the accomplishments of earl=
recording people at the lab and want to discourage any competition from
others.  What a shame

Barb Beck
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada