Re: Dumb Windscreen Question

Subject: Re: Dumb Windscreen Question
From: Klas Strandberg <>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:33:21 +0200
Let me add:

Watch out for the output of the Telinga! What you hear as wind sensitive,
might be 98% distortion from the input amp, which did not happen with your
other set-up. Are you sure the input has a attenuation??

Also note that if you are using the Twin Science mic, only one channel is
wind-sensitive. (Cardioid) The other channel is an omni, very insensitive t=
wind and handling noise.

Klas.

At 10:07 2002-08-14 -0700, you wrote:
>At 09:49 AM 8/14/2002, Barb Beck wrote:
>
>>I have been trying to use the my new Telinga for a while this summer but =
one
>>BIG problem I have over my old roche-stennheiser setup was is that the se=
tup
>>appears far more sensitive to the wind.  It tends to be quite windy up he=
re
>>especially if you are on the prairies.
>>
>>I was going to try to build a windscreen out of fake fur and cross stitch
>>mesh (with a whole bunch of the mesh punched out to make bigger holes) bu=
>>the problem is I do not have a clue how to mount it on the mic.
>>
>>Anybody out there solved this problem reasonably?
>>
>>Took a look at the commercial stuff - the price is out of sight!!
>
>I assume your new Telinga is the parabolic setup? If so, there is a specia=
>windscreen available from Telinga that covers the face of the dish, and is=

>very, very effective. You might also try some sonically transparent
>material that covers the face of the dish - just a big cloth placed over
>the front of the dish and attached to the parabola somehow. Also you might=

>be aware of the direction of the wind against the dish - the wind's effect=
>are worst when it is across the face, rather than against the back or fron=
>of the dish.
>
>Doug
>Doug Von Gausig
>Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
>Moderator
>Nature Recordists e-mail group
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

This outgoing e-mail is scanned for viruses with Norton 2002

Telinga Microphones, Botarbo,
S-748 96 Tobo, Sweden.
Phone & fax int + 295 310 01
email:

org. no SE440130067001

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:38 2005
Message: 18
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:05:22 -0700
From: Dan Dugan <>
Subject: Re: HHb Portadisc question

Klas Strandberg, you wrote:

>Excellent Nagra idea! I never noticed that. I wish there was a similar
>"black line" on all DAT's and MD's.
>
>Using Tascam DA-P1 and Sony D10, you can say that this line is the same as
>no 3 on the wheel, but what do you say to a walkman-type MD user?

We'd have to test individual models, but there's a good chance that
the gain steps control actually changes the preamp gain, rather than
just attenuating after, the normal volume control manner. If they do
change the gain, the clip level would go up appropriately as the gain
goes down and there would be no worry about clipping the preamp.

-Dan