Re: Re: Marantz PMD680 and Denon F20R

Subject: Re: Re: Marantz PMD680 and Denon F20R
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:54:31 -0400
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> > A soundtrack transferred without editing, cataloging and so on is really
> > a minor part of the process. The transfer time issue is way overblown,
> > it's trivia. I actually use the transfer time to review the track, so
>
> Well... it's not trivial for me!  I can easily fill 30 disks on a trip of
> a month or six weeks... I would much rather rip that quickly to PC and
> flip through wave files with a full PC interface to isolate the material I
> want to use, than audition everything in 'real time' or by FFWDing through
> it...
>
> It's certainly not a feature that anyone will begrudge, when it finally
> arrives in my format of choice.

That's really the point. I see a whole bunch of folks telling us how
wonderful micro disc, solid state or whatever is. But I don't see
members of the group buying and using them on a regular basis and
relating how they do in heavy outdoor use. Does this mean they don't
trust them in spite of all their words of trust?

You have to buy a recorder today, not tomorrow, what will it be? That's
almost always the question to which I see replies of buying solid state.
Well, lets see some of these solid state supporters actually buy one and
make it their main recorder. There's no reason why some hapless beginner
should be the one to take the bath if they don't work out.

I have plenty of time, I'm not in the market for another recorder, which
gives me more money to put into what really counts, mics. I've got a
excellent recorder that should give me many, many years of service. When
I need a new recorder I'll do just like I did two years ago, go over
every possible recorder and choose the best choice for that day. And if
a beginner comes in asking, I'm going to be doing the same sort of thing
unless they specifically ask about possible futures of recording. The
recorder choices of the day suitable for a beginner is what they usually
want to know about.

I can think of a lot of things that would be nice. Way high on the list
is wireless quality recording. Eliminate cables completely throughout
the process. Transfer to your computer (if you still use such a crude
thing) via gigabit wireless net. From the other side of the world if you
wish. Since you would have instant transfer from anywhere, no recorder
needed at all, just the mic. It might be doable right now using some of
the cellular satellite phone technologies and a bunch of custom gear.
You see, micro drive, solid state memory, and so on are also antiques.