Re: Marantz PMD680 and Denon F20R

Subject: Re: Marantz PMD680 and Denon F20R
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 21:58:41 -0000
Walter Knapp wrote:

>...The flash memory is depending on
>continuous electric supply from a battery...

Wrong -- All flash memory manufacturers (SanDisk, Kingston, Delkin,
others) state that their products will retain data without a power
source for 10 years or more.  Toss the CompactFlash card in a drawer
and come back months or years later -- your data will still be
there.  Maybe by "battery" you're referring to the electric charge
retained at the transistor level in each flash memory cell.

>...I'm so occupied recording I don't have time
>to do transfers, or if I took the time, I'd have
>less time to record...

This is partly true because data transfers from minidisc to computer
are very slow.  A transfer of 45 minutes of mono recording from any
minidisc recorder takes 45 minutes.  Transferring 45 minutes of mono
WAV recording from CompactFlash (about 256MB of data) takes less than
2 minutes.   No big deal.

>...All recording types have good and bad points,
>and solid state is no exception.

Agreed.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:33 2005
Message: 3