Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE

Subject: Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:47:41 -0400
sgrwp wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I have a problem with recording to my laptop from the HHB USB and I
> was wondering if anyone could help.  I've checked the back files of
> this group and while there appear to have been a few USB "hiccups", I
> can't find one the same as this - I hope I'm not repeating old
> queries.
>
> Anyway -
>
> I've a Pentium 3 (996) laptop running Windows XP, with 20G space.
> I'm finding that when I record in Cool Pro SE through the USB I'm
> getting a sporadic interference with the recording.  It's an
> electronic distortion of sorts - that is still there when I burn to
> CD.  It was very bad then I switched off the powersavers, the screen
> savers and all the virus programs which seems to improve it alot but
> I'm still picking it up occasionally.
>
> The digital output on the HHB is off.
>
> It's quite a long transfer - >74" but in mono.  It's only spoken
> word.
>
> Anyone had the same problem - is it a USB problem or a Cool Edit
> problem?  I read in an earlier post that sometimes the USB transfer
> is too fast for the processor - could this be the case?
>
> The person in the IV coughs ocasionally which sends the recording
> into the red momentarily - could this be triggering the problem?
>
> An even more bizarre sideline is that I have one USB cable that
> manages to get the audio into Cool Edit without howling and another
> which causes howl on exactly the same settings - is there something
> about USB cables I need to know?
>
> Any help would be great.

How much memory does the laptop have? Your interference sounds like
something in the laptop is doing it. Hope it's not the disk accesses.
Memory is a likely suspect. You are going to dig in and turn off more processes.

The P3 should handle the USB just fine. USB does not have the bandwidth
to make a processor notice, let alone sweat.

The coughing problem sounds like you may have recorded with a little too
high a level, causing some clipping during the coughing. Unless your bad
spots are always the coughing, that's not it.

Yes, USB cables come in various qualities and you do need to be using a
good one. If you have a bunch of stuff connected to the USB, try
removing some of it. I've not heard of howling. My entire audio I/O runs
through USB via a Roland UA-30 with no such problems.

I use macs, so can't be sure on Cool Edit, some PC folks will have to
comment on that. I suspect it's a problem in how the USB is set up in
your laptop, rather than Cool Edit. By the time Cool Edit gets it it's
digital computer data and fairly immune to damage. And Cool Edit should
have no problem buffering it to disk.

Though it should not make a difference, you could try it with the
digital out of the HHB on. That's supposed to only be turning on the
optical out, but I'm not sure.