Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE

Subject: Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE
From: "sgrwp" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 01:04:44 -0000
sounds interesting although I have no idea what you mean - what is an
interrupt and how do I find out if anyone's sharing mine!!

Seriously - can you spell it out for me? if it's not too much
hassle ... I did notice that the one background program that I
couldn't turn off by right clicking in the task bar (and didn't
bother to turn off through the msconfig menu) was a Nokia connection
manager - which allows you to select how you connect your laptop with
your phone (presumably mobile)..

--- In  "richpeet" <> wrote:
> In a laptop you can find interupt conflicts between the usb port
and
> the audio card as well as network cards or other pci cards.  Check
> see that the usb interupt is not shared with any other devices. The
> fix is to shuffle or eliminate.  Shuffle is harder with a laptop
than
> a desktop.
> Good luck.
>

> --- In  "sgrwp" <> wrote:
> > Thanks for the info .. I should have included the 256 Meg of Ram -

> > maybe its just too small, although I note Roger's trouble free
> > transfers!  I checked that there's no incompatabilities and the
USB
> > driver is doing what it's supposed to do ... maybe I'll just have
> > try another USB cable?  Otherwise - if there's a program
conflict -
> > any ideas where it's most likely to be?
> >
> > --- In  Walter Knapp <> wrote:

> and
> files
> > of
> > USB "hiccups", I

> space.
> I'm
> burn
> > screen
> alot
> > but

Edit
> > transfer

> recording

> > another
> > something

> > > How much memory does the laptop have? Your interference sounds
> like
> > > something in the laptop is doing it. Hope it's not the disk
> > accesses.
> > > Memory is a likely suspect. You are going to dig in and turn
off
> > more processes.
> > >
> > > The P3 should handle the USB just fine. USB does not have the
> > bandwidth
> > > to make a processor notice, let alone sweat.
> > >
> > > The coughing problem sounds like you may have recorded with a
> > little too
> > > high a level, causing some clipping during the coughing. Unless
> > your bad
> > > spots are always the coughing, that's not it.
> > >
> > > Yes, USB cables come in various qualities and you do need to be
> > using a
> > > good one. If you have a bunch of stuff connected to the USB, try
> > > removing some of it. I've not heard of howling. My entire audio
> I/O
> > runs
> > > through USB via a Roland UA-30 with no such problems.
> > >
> > > I use macs, so can't be sure on Cool Edit, some PC folks will
> have
> > > comment on that. I suspect it's a problem in how the USB is set
> up
> > in
> > > your laptop, rather than Cool Edit. By the time Cool Edit gets
it
> > it's
> > > digital computer data and fairly immune to damage. And Cool
Edit