Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE

Subject: Re: HHB USB & Cool Edit Pro SE
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:09:16 -0400
sgrwp wrote:

> Thanks for the info .. I should have included the 256 Meg of Ram -
> maybe its just too small, although I note Roger's trouble free
> transfers!  I checked that there's no incompatabilities and the USB
> driver is doing what it's supposed to do ... maybe I'll just have to
> try another USB cable?  Otherwise - if there's a program conflict -
> any ideas where it's most likely to be?

The conflict is almost certainly in the I/O interrupts between the
various hardware parts of the laptop. Between one part of the OS and another.

One other thing that might help is to bring it in as segments, instead
of trying for one 74 minute file. If the bad spots take a while to turn
up that might get you there. I doubt that the laptop designers
considered streaming in nearly 400 megs to HD in one go.

Also, you should be bringing it in 44k 16bit mono, which is what the HHb
is sending. Otherwise your software or hardware is having to do a
resampling on the fly, another source of stray interrupts. If you just
need spoken word, you can resample it to a smaller size after it's in.