Re: ATRAC compression

Subject: Re: ATRAC compression
From: Marvin Humphrey <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:47:38 -0700
Monty Brigham:

> It was a commercially made CD of my original 95 tracks The sounds in the
> studio were great. The first batch of 70 cd's were also fine. The second
> batch of 500 is where the problems begin. I have tried different CD
> players some work and some don't. Why the inconsistencies?

This batch of CDs should be tested by the manufacturer, or possibly an
independent third party such as another manufacturer.  The number of things
that can go wrong during CD replication is mind-boggling, so I'll give you
one example and caution that the odds are not high that it is the culprit.

One thing that can interfere with playability on some systems is track pitch
that is too narrow, violating the CD spec.  Essentially, this means the
grooves on the CD are too close together.  :)  If memory serves, the minimum
track pitch is 1.4 microns.  If you get narrower than that, the reader may
"see" an adjacent track when it is trying to concentrate on only one, and
become "confused", so to speak.  Behavior is not perfectly predictable when
a CD is just barely out of spec, because some CD players are more sensitive
to this particular problem than others.  Such a defect shouldn't get past
quality control, and I've only seen one batch of CDs that had it, but
perhaps this gives you an idea of the kind of thing that could be happening.

Hope this helps,

-- Marvin Humphrey
CD design website - http://marvin.mrtoads.com