Re: ATRAC compression

Subject: Re: ATRAC compression
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:49:25 -0400
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> For nature recordings where there is likely to be minimal processing prior
> to playback, you'll probably stay left of the crash knee, and everything
> will be fine.  For other recordists dealing with situations where additional
> downstream processing is anticipated, perceptually encoded material may
> present problems.

This also means that recopying to MD is not something to be doing much.
It manages to hold on through a number of copies even then.

I view MD as a capture medium, not a editing medium. And my output is
not run into another compression except for the dead end mp3 samples for
the web. I've not found problems with the sort of noise removal filters
appropriate for nature recording. And definitely no problem doing
sonograms. If you do it this sort of way you will not run into these
doomsday happenings. If you are one of the soundmangler's, you are
probably on your own, and are probably not that interested in true
reproduction either.

> I agree with Walt that ATRAC gets more grief than it should.  I have spent
> far more time than I should have arguing with people over similar
> controversies.  :)  I especially agree that ATRAC should not stop people
> from getting started doing quality recording.  Nevertheless, discussion of
> codecs is not complete without a distinction being made between a
> transparent single pass, and non-transparent multiple passes which are often
> common practice in certain real-world situations, at least in other fields.

The flip side of this for everyone to notice is that compression is a up
and coming field. Compression is a true wave of the future as well and
is not going to go away. So if you are worrying about ATRAC, you are
barely started. Many of the future ones will be hidden too.

I think ATRAC gets more grief as it was the first really visible one out
the door. And everyone seems to love to hate Sony.

As one of the long time users I get drug into this far too often. Mostly
because there are a whole lot of wrong ideas about it and I hate to see
them passed around without at least a attempt at setting things straight.