Re: ATRAC compression

Subject: Re: ATRAC compression
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:41:24 -0400
Klas Strandberg wrote:

> Why not buy 20 MD? They will probably last a lifetime?
> In the future, when you copy the MD recordings into the media of the time,
> nobody will know unless you don't tell them.

I figure I don't need that many, but then I've got less time to go :-(

I'm using a dye sub printer for which the last available supplies was 6
years ago, when I stocked up. I've got maybe another 4 to 5 years of
supplies left. And the prints still beat anything else.

For walkman MD your wearout problem is usually the little switches under
the tiny buttons. I got three years out of my first one before it
started going flaky. The switches are in groups on circuit boards, which
are available. Were it me, I'd stock up on those as well.

> This is what many wildlife film-makers have been doing for the last 5 years.
> They use an MD, copy to DAT, and neither the producer, the editor nor the
> sound-engineer will ever notice.

Snicker...

So much for the major damage ATRAC is doing.

The folks who want my recordings know I use MD, but they listen to the
recordings, not the technology.