Re: ATRAC compression

Subject: Re: ATRAC compression
From: Marvin Humphrey <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:20:42 -0700
Walter Knapp:

> This also means that recopying to MD is not something to be doing much.

Yes, that is the theory.

> It manages to hold on through a number of copies even then.

Yes.  Depends on the material, though.  Noise has high entropy, so it
doesn't compress well -- thus noisy recordings fall apart faster.

I ought to defer to Walt's practical experience with MD and these types of
recordings; my expertise is primarily as a former mastering engineer working
on music recordings from any number of sources.

> If you are one of the soundmangler's,

That would be me!

> you are probably on your own, and are probably not that interested in true
> reproduction either.

Just like I'm particular about how the guitar amp distorts, I'm particular
about what distortions I like in sample manipulation.  This gets outside of
nature recording, of course...

> As one of the long time users I get drug into this far too often. Mostly
> because there are a whole lot of wrong ideas about it and I hate to see
> them passed around without at least a attempt at setting things straight.

Resist, Walt, resist.  ;)  I now let people make claims left and right about
differences in data-identical playback from CD without raising my voice in
protest, and I'm a happier guy for it.  The world is filled with
unscientific ninnies...

Cheers,

-- Marvin Humphrey
CD design website - http://marvin.mrtoads.com