Re: File Size

Subject: Re: File Size
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 11:05:03 EDT
I occasionally put up sounds on the web for Journey North.  I want the sounds
to be clear and good quality, but don't want them to be so high quality that
anyone would be able to copy them from the web to use for other purposes.  So
using Cool Edit I convert them to mono and compress them to a sampling rate
of 16000, as .wav files.  This easily brings most of the files down to 300
KBs, and they're easily readable on most computers.

Laura Erickson

Journey North science writer
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/current.html
Duluth, MN

www.forbirds.com

"There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the
birds...There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

                                                                   --Rachel
Carson