Re: File Size

Subject: Re: File Size
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 07:16:31 -0700
At 09:45 PM 6/20/2002, Vijay Cavale wrote:

>While working on Bird Call Recordings, using today's technology, what is the
>"best file size" that one can expect to achieve, for each bird call?

My experience with Naturesongs.com indicates that the best way to put
sounds on the web these days is by using MP3s. When I started out, 7 years
ago, WAV or AU files were the only reasonable choice. Now pretty much
everyone has MP3 decoders as part of their system. CoolEdit 2000 & CEPro
have MP3 encoders as integral components, so converting your files to MP3
will be easy. Just "Save As" MP3 and set the options for optimal
compression vs quality by experimentation. I always start the MP3
conversion with a 22,050/16-bit file for the best sound. Never reduce your
resolution to 8-bit - this introduces too much noise.

Syntrillium has an MP3 "fix" available in case your MP3s appear truncated
when you play them back. This has been a problem, but the "fix' corrects
it. If you can't get it from them, I have a copy you might use.

I try to keep files down to 300K or below, just to keep download times
tolerable for folks with 56K modems, which is still the most common
connection. Note that when you create an MP3 in CE, your CE screen will
show the size of the uncompressed file, not the actual size of the MP3 - to
see how large your MP3 is, you'll need to look in windows explorer and
display the file attributes.

Good luck, and let us all know when the site is up and going - this is a
wonderful service to all!

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA