Re: File Size

Subject: Re: File Size
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:49:14 EDT
Good point!  I've been careful to do this to human voice interviews, and to
species with fairly low frequency calls and songs.  Our own ears can hear
some distortions and changes in quality with downsampling, and sonagrams are
obviously much more accurate.  Again, the purpose of the web recordings is
also pertinent.  And remember that many people that download sounds are
listening on pretty poor speakers, too--the kind that make a Ruffed Grouse
sound like someone tapping on a tabletop.

Laura Erickson

Journey North science writer
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/current.html
Duluth, MN

www.forbirds.com

"There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the
birds...There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of
nature--the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the
winter.

                                                                   --Rachel
Carson