Digital Editing of Stereo Ambient Recordings

Subject: Digital Editing of Stereo Ambient Recordings
From: "bbystrek" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 02:30:45 -0000
Hello,

I'm just starting to fine tune my first ambient recordings...

I would have previously touted myself as generally competent at PC
audio editing.  While sure I was familiar with Window's "Recorder",
MP3 ripping and coding, I had no idea what the real world of digital
audio editing encompasses.  I had always assumed it was just all
about Level, THD, SNR, Equalization etc.  What I'm discovering, is
that excellent quality recordings are truly created and ruined in the
field, but even an excellent recording can be "improved", by some
manipulation in the computer.  It's not that I want to alter what was
heard, but I want to remove things like the rumble of a jet or the
barking of a dog and focus the recreated experience on the sounds I
find interesting.

Any advice on audio editing of stereo soundscape style ambient
recordings?  I'm generally satisfied in regards to clipping out
defects and mending the discontinuities.  I'm careful of accidentally
breaking up bird songs or frog calls, breaking at zero cross-overs
and blending levels adjacent to the discontinuity.  What I'm really
overwhelmed with is the huge variety of noise and frequency response
modification processes.  I'm finding I can minimize or eliminate
distant automobiles and jet rumble using a low frequency roll-off
around 200-300 Hz.  Is there a satisfactory way to reduce or modify
the "white" background noise that you hear as a result of recording
such low sound levels?  It's not something you hear in person, so I
don't want to hear it in the reproduction.  I have tried some of the
noise reduction filters, but sometimes end up with a variety of
artifacts in the final passage.  I already realize that sometimes
what I really want to get rid of is actually wind rustling through
the trees and not actually noise from the microphone, but it still
sort of disturbs me.

If anyone is willing to invent a filter for prop airplanes and
motorcycles, I would be greatly appreciative!

Anyway, enough questions for now.

Brian Bystrek

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:26 2005
Message: 6