Re: Digital Editing of Stereo Ambient Recordings

Subject: Re: Digital Editing of Stereo Ambient Recordings
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 07:54:27 -0700
At 07:30 PM 6/14/2002, you wrote:
>Is there a satisfactory way to reduce or modify
>the "white" background noise that you hear as a result of recording
>such low sound levels?  It's not something you hear in person, so I
>don't want to hear it in the reproduction.  I have tried some of the
>noise reduction filters, but sometimes end up with a variety of
>artifacts in the final passage.  I already realize that sometimes
>what I really want to get rid of is actually wind rustling through
>the trees and not actually noise from the microphone, but it still
>sort of disturbs me.
>
>If anyone is willing to invent a filter for prop airplanes and
>motorcycles, I would be greatly appreciative!

Hi Brian, and welcome to the group! You've obviously come to the right place.

Noise reduction filters are best handled with kid gloves - a gentle touch
is in order. First tell us what sound editor you are using - that way
members using the same system can advise you better. When I use noise
filters I set my reduction somewhere under 10dB - above that and the
artifacts increase to objectionable levels - especially on quiet ambient
recordings.

As to prop aircraft and motorcycles, each is its own animal - each will
have it's unique sonic signature. Harley Davidsons are my pet peeve - noise
just for the sake of noise!

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA