RE: Remote power packs

Subject: RE: Remote power packs
From: "Brian M. Godfrey" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:04:22 -0700
> Note that such a pac can be as simple as a motorcycle gel
> cell "12 volt" battery with a cig lighter plug connected to
> it's two terminals. And that charged by a low amperage
> standard charger for cars.

   It seems to me that I've seen a device advertised somewhere that was
an emergency electrical pack for your car.  It had a battery -
presumably lead-acid - large enough to start one's car if the car
battery dies.  It also had a "power outlet", which is basically a
cigarette lighter socket, from which you could run car accessories.  It
had a handy carrying handle and I think even had a built-in light.  And
you just plugged it in to charge it.  It was consumer grade and not
overly expensive.  If you were handy, you could probably even open the
case and insert a small voltage regulating circuit and an additional
power jack for the necessary voltage for your particular equipment.
Seems like this might be a handy power source for recording.  I wish I
could remember where I saw it.  I'll keep my eyes open...

--Brian