Re: again about compression

Subject: Re: again about compression
From: "richpeet" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 22:10:25 -0000
Sony has made a large effort to make unavailable computer emulation
of atrac.  If you want to test a few specific files I would be happy
to convert a wave file to atrac and back to PC wave and send it back
to you to look at.  I would make the transfer from wave to atrac all
digital but I only have an ablility to make the atrac back to wave
via line level analog. It would still be pretty clean but you may
want to use someone with a digital out on their Minidisc. The limit
on email to me for the conversion is 5 megs per message. please note
that the first 3 secs may be cut on a digital record. If you want
address it to richpeet(at)attbi.com and note at=@.

--- In  Gianni Pavan <> wrote:
> I think the effect of compression on sound quality it is still a
debatable
> question. It is very important to know which sound features may be
affected
> by compression and how the acoustic context may affect the
compression
> algorithm's behaviour. I made some tests with MP3 encoding/decoding
and
> several effects can be easily detected by hearing or by
spectrographic