Re: Re: again about compression

Subject: Re: Re: again about compression
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:49:46 -0500
Howard Coneybeare wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried using one mic which would connect to a preamp or
> similar device which in turn could provide signal to two different recording
> devices??(or are there reasons a novice like me doesn't know that it isn't
> possible?) If this were possible, it would seem to me that you should be
> able to compare a high end DAT recording to one compressed by ATRAC for
> example. In other words, the signal to each should be identical in every
> way. The only difference would be the recording process (and play back, and
> probably a few other things I don't know about!)
>
> It's just a question I've been pondering ... thought someone out there would
> likely have the answer.

Most of the changes in the sound caused by the process of recording are
outside of the recording process itself. To make this work you would
have to bypass the preamps of each recorder for sure, and maybe the line
inputs too. And, on the output end you'd have a whole bunch to bypass.
To truly get the effects of ATRAC isolated is not a easy task. In many
minidisc recorders I believe that the A/D and D/A stages are in the same
chip, or at least directly wired. Variations in these can make big differences.

The usual way it's done is someone compares a pro dat machine to a $200
minidisc walkman and blames everything they find on ATRAC. At the very
minimum I'd suggest anyone comparing try to be comparing the same price
machines. And only portable machines since that's what we would need for
recording.