RE: Hello

Subject: RE: Hello
From: "Gordon Hempton" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:13:15 -0800
Brian-

I A/B tested the KU100 (AKA Fritz III) next to the KU81i (AKA Fritz II)
using a Nagra D in Minnesota. Hanging one head above the other, I recorded
both general ambience and a stream to subjectively evaluate which I would
use for the duration of a project, of which, my choice was entirely
independent of financial considerations since all of the equipment had been
submitted to me without charge for the evaluation.

I found the 'new improved' Fritz disappointing and did not bother to test it
again. It produced recordings that lacked warmth compared to the KU81i
(don't know why, specifications would not suggest that result) and a hole
appeared evident in center stage, even with headphones. Speaker playback did
improve, but only slightly, and the KU81i did great at speaker playback
already.

I was entirely surprised and this left me wondering if my sense of listening
had acclimated entirely to the KU-81, meaning that my brain had learned what
it needed to know to accurately interpret the KU81 binaural image (and not
yet learned the new changes made in the KU100) OR possibly that the KU100
was a product of sales and marketing, not field testing.

To anyone considering the KU100, I say try to find a used KU81i first. It
will perform better (in my opinion) yet cost about the same. A good price
for KU81i used and recently serviced at Neumann USA (specification testing
and correction) would be anything under $5,500. So the KU100, even given
it's weaker performance at $3,999 is still a steal (say that five times
fast).

Making a true binaural head would be difficult and costly, and probably
exceed the purchase price of an off-the-shelf product. Plus there would be
no warrantee (and as with all things that are dropped in the mud, rained on,
put down rattlesnake holes, etc., YOU WANT the warrantee).

--Gordon