Re: Hello

Subject: Re: Hello
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 23:38:17 -0500
Gordon Hempton wrote:

> To anyone considering the KU100, I say try to find a used KU81i first. It
> will perform better (in my opinion) yet cost about the same. A good price
> for KU81i used and recently serviced at Neumann USA (specification testing
> and correction) would be anything under $5,500. So the KU100, even given
> it's weaker performance at $3,999 is still a steal (say that five times
> fast).

For those not too familiar with Ebay, here's a slight translation. The
Ad has a minimum bid of $3999 specified, but also displays "reserve not
met". What that means is no way you will get it for that. The Ad also
has a buy it now price of $4999. In my experience with mics on Ebay,
most sellers will have their reserve price very close to their buy it
now price, or maybe the same. So, think more in terms of nearly $5000,
and see if it's still a good deal. Note it now has one bid, that did not
meet reserve, so is listed at $3999, but may be much higher. If I were
bidding on it and nothing more for info, my last minute bid would be
right at the buy it now price. And hope it's not as high as that... You
have to decide your max bid well ahead and stick with it.

> Making a true binaural head would be difficult and costly, and probably
> exceed the purchase price of an off-the-shelf product. Plus there would be
> no warrantee (and as with all things that are dropped in the mud, rained on,
> put down rattlesnake holes, etc., YOU WANT the warrantee).

While it's not quite the same thing as a binaural head, the modified
SASS mic we have been discussing is similar for the front 180 degrees
anyway. Equipped with two brand new MKH 20's you would be less than the
cost of the head. Equipped with the MKH 110's I'm going to use it's
positively cheap in comparison.

There are also some other choices that are similar. Some are even more
head like, and so on. I found a surprising number of choices when I
started looking through the area of stereo/surround/binaural. And I'm
sure each will have a different sound and pick up the soundfield
somewhat different.

Currently I have several stereo setups in the works with what I got off
Ebay. And at least one surround system could be made (crossed figure
8's) with what I have. I'm concentrating at the moment in having several
different reach amounts. I don't often have the opportunity to sit in
the middle of the soundfield I want to record, but mostly have to record
from the side, sometimes at some distance.

Depending on your skills, making a true head would not be a huge
challenge. Primarily you need to know precise plastic molding or
machining, or work in some other material, like wood, as is done by
another manufacturer. In terms of cost, assuming you already have the
tools necessary, the head part is not bad. Some study would be necessary
to design the head, but none of these heads are very complex compared to
a real head. Then you have the problem of mics to fit in it. Virtually
the same problem as with the SASS mic.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this is up there where you want to
be sure you want it. I have no idea how far I'm going to go in this
direction. Partially that depends on where and how I expect my
recordings to be played. I might eventually regret passing it up for all
I know. Our recording can get downright expensive. I second the
warrantee on the head, that means you should not pay full new price for this.