Re: digital memory

Subject: Re: digital memory
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 15:42:59 -0500
Steve Pelikan wrote:

> A colleague of mine has an "iPOD" that she says holds about 5GB and can
> be
> used as a portable drive, not simply to hold compressed sounds.
>
> How hard would it be to hook one of these to the digital output
> of a DAT? If its easy, any idea how?

The digital output of a DAT is a stream of audio data. This needs a
computer program to process it into a disk file and the specialized
input for the audio digital connection.  I think that's what you would
find missing. The iPod is a external USB connected HD with some
programming to play mp3's functionally. So you would be back to carrying
a laptop, and if you have that why bother with a glorified external disk.

There has been some speculation as to how much a iPod could be hacked.
It's got upgradable firmware, so if you could figure out the
programming, in theory you could write new firmware and get it to do it.
A whole heck of a lot of complex programming involved, and I bet Apple
would not supply the necessary info to do it. Real hackers turf. And you
would probably have to have a SPDIF to USB interface as well.

Holding the data is really not the issue in a field recorder, or more
like the less important one. There's one whole heck of a lot more to it.
About all you would be providing hooking it to a DAT is the equivalent
of a few extra tape cartridges.