Re: Re: homemade hydrophone

Subject: Re: Re: homemade hydrophone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:20:40 -0500
Jim Lee wrote:

>   I suppose I have been lucky in avoiding the RFI problem with
> DolphinEar. Nevertheless, I find the microphonic character of the cable
> itself to be a problem. Almost any mechanical disturbance along the
> length of the cable will be picked up by the phone. Do the HTI and
> Aquarian Hydrophones have a similar problem with the cables?

It was extremely bad here working shallow fresh water for frogcalls.

The HTI is not quite as bad for cable noise, uses a fairly slick, hard
cable and is molded directly onto the end of the cable. I normally use
it with a 14' graphite boom pole to reach the water. The model I got is
very small, so no real weight to worry about.

Do note that hydrophones are vibration sensing devices in a medium that
transmits vibrations very well. Some of the problem is just inherent in
the hydrophone. The noise you get may not even be transmitted by the
cable even when it's the source of the vibration.