RE: Re: homemade hydrophone

Subject: RE: Re: homemade hydrophone
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 10:54:01 -0500
Unshielded?   Yes, a lot of XLR connectors rely on the contact between the
single phillips-head screw and the outer metal connector case to convey
ground shielding from cable shield to recorder grounding.  I have always
wondered about this, and actually had a lot of trouble when I first bought
my ME-66, using it in the field and getting radio stations, power line hum,
and loud intermittent clicking.  Some lacquer had gotten between the screw
head and the case, and all I had to do was remove the screw, clean both
with an abrasive, and replace the screw.  But they corrode with time.  Are
other versions of the XLR designed better?

Let me be specific: you solder the inner cable conductors each to their
respective pins (what a numbering system! Who is this XLR guy,
anyway?).  Then you solder the cable shield to the large lug in the
connector, and make a jumper from this lug to the remaining pin.  This lug
only conveys the connection as far as the hole threaded to accept the ONE
mounting screw.  When you slide the metal case over the connector guts, it
places the connector hole above this threaded hole, and the one and only
screw then must connect the outer case to the inner metal hole threads,
mechanically and electrically.  NOT my idea of a half-way decent connector
design.  That is in part WHY I never used these connectors before buying a
Sennheiser and HHb and being forced to use them.  If you don't believe it,
try turning everything on, so you are listening to the mic through
headphones, and remove any of these single screws.

Every time I make up cables, now, I worry about rosin from the soldering
getting into either of these holes and leaving the mic shield
floating.  What am I missing, here, is pin 1 supposed to do all this properly?

At 09:40 AM 3/1/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Marco,
>Your situation reminds me of a similar problem that I encountered
>several years ago. I was always picking up a radio signal and it took a
>lot of questions to people who know about electronics by the time I got
>the problem fixed. The ground wire was attached to the shield. My
>repairman was given everything from the mike to the tape machine and to
>his astonishment the connector from the mike to the machine was
>improperly soldered. It was a factory made connection! Get your machine
>to a repairman and save your self grief.
>
>Monty

my very best,

Marty Michener
MIST Software Associates
75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049

coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.