Re: Re: homemade hydrophone

Subject: Re: Re: homemade hydrophone
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:25:01 -0500
Monty Brigham wrote:

> Dear Marco,
> Your situation reminds me of a similar problem that I encountered
> several years ago. I was always picking up a radio signal and it took a
> lot of questions to people who know about electronics by the time I got
> the problem fixed. The ground wire was attached to the shield. My
> repairman was given everything from the mike to the tape machine and to
> his astonishment the connector from the mike to the machine was
> improperly soldered. It was a factory made connection! Get your machine
> to a repairman and save your self grief.

Whatever was wrong with the Hydrophone I had was inside the sealed
hydrophone. They are not made to be repaired.

Note that when I contacted the Dolphin Phone company, that they admitted
I was not alone. Though in salt water only the use on a powerful marine
transmitter on the boat set it off. They were the ones who suggested the
magnetic chokes, at the hydrophone end of the cable.

The HTI hydrophone I got does not have this problem. As I understand it,
the sensitive element is inside the core of the hydro, shielded by the
rest of the hydro.