Re: Quietest Laptop

Subject: Re: Quietest Laptop
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 17:24:58 -0500
ghemptonsr wrote:

> The Mobile I/O 2882 is firewire and has the ability to deliver 8
> channels at 24/96 (watch the fuel gauge drop on the hard drive). It
> apparently also provides phantom power through the firewire port, but
> this would shorten the laptop battery life.

You will probably find that most of the power won't be going to the
phantom, but to the unit itself, since it's probably powering off the
laptop too.

> My guess is that the biggest concern after operating noise will turn
> out to be a mobile power supply, then dust, moisture, and a stable
> operating temperature and finally getting all the data off the hard
> drive to begin again.

Even a power hungry laptop will run a long time on a automobile or
motorcycle battery. And those are silent.

If it's down around freezing or below, laptops are not happy campers.