Re: Quietest Laptop

Subject: Re: Quietest Laptop
From: "ghemptonsr" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 15:45:03 -0000
Yes, the Metric Halo Mobile I/O 2882 at $1395. I'm working on a 8
channel industrial project, not related to nature recording. Still,
I'd like the system to work for quiet applications so I'm trying to
make decisions that will work for both settings.

The Mobile I/O 2882 is firewire and has the ability to deliver 8
channels at 24/96 (watch the fuel gauge drop on the hard drive). It
apparently also provides phantom power through the firewire port, but
this would shorten the laptop battery life.

My guess is that the biggest concern after operating noise will turn
out to be a mobile power supply, then dust, moisture, and a stable
operating temperature and finally getting all the data off the hard
drive to begin again.

--- In  Marty Michener <> wrote:
> At 05:50 AM 3/19/02 -0800, you wrote:
> >Does anyone have a recommendation for the quietest laptop/notebook
computer?

> >I hear that IBM has released a new liquid bearing hard drive that
should be
> >nearly silent and the Power Book is fairly quiet already with a
cool pad
> >under it, but I am leaning towards a PC laptop since Windows XP is
fairly
> >stable with high memory installs.
> >
> >Advise anyone?
> >
> >Gordon
>
> Dear Gordon:
> Just be sure you are getting the ports you expect and/or need, per
my story
> earlier today. And that you can really use the built-in mouse and
key pad.

> my very best,
>
> Marty Michener
> MIST Software Associates
> 75 Hannah Drive, Hollis, NH 03049
>
> coming soon : EnjoyBirds bird identification software.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:22:14 2005
Message: 7
Well that I/O will sure need a lot of horsepower which is out of my
league of computing.  But as of right now you are stuck with a mac
for that I/O as there are no PC drivers currently avail.

There is a Yahoo group for this I/O at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mobile-IO/

I would think a computer with a 12 volt input would be a big plus so
that it is easy to run motorcycle batteries or other large
rechargables to.
Good luck.