Re: Help

Subject: Re: Help
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 18:22:21 +1000
But Marty, "tone" in English can also refer to the quality of the sound: th=
difference in sound say between a clarinet and a fiddle playing the same
note, which results from the presence (or not) and the strength of the uppe=
partials (harmonics).

"Tone" is also used in connection with the (Western) musical scale, where,
following the lead of old Johann Sebastian and his well-tempered clavichord=
,
we divide the octave (doubling of frequency) into twelve equal parts
(semitones), two of which make a tone.

So one needs to consider the context in which the word is used.

Syd Curtis